The Development Path from 1995 till Today
The School of Environmental Sciences, the first international postgraduate school in Slovenia, was the predecessor of the University of Nova Gorica. The School was founded on 24 september 1995 with the consent of the Council for Higher Education of the Republic of Slovenia of 12 July 1995. It started operating in the 1995/96 academic year. The School was founded by the Municipality of Nova Gorica and the Jožef Stefan Institute in Ljubljana.
- The Municipality of Ajdovščina withdraws as a co-founder of the University of Nova Gorica.
- The opening of the University of Nova Gorica Gallery.
- The Laboratory for Astroparticle Physics is renamed as the Center for Astrophysics and Cosmology.
- The Centre for Systems and Information Technologies is renamed as the Centre for Information Technologies and Applied Mathematics.
- The Laboratory for Environmental Research is renamed as the Laboratory for Environmental and Life Sciences.
- The establishment of the UNESCO headquaters called the Karsology Study Center (Unesco Chair on Karst Education).
- The establishment of the Centre for Cognitive Science of Language.
- The Award of 1000th diploma at the end of studies.
- The Edvard Rusjan Foundation is renamed as the University of Nova Gorica Foundation.
- The establishment of the Wine Research Centre.
- The Nova Gorica Polytechnic Library is transformed into the University Library of the University of Nova Gorica.
- The establishment of the Centre for System and Information Technologies.
- On 17 March, the Council for Higher Education of the Republic of Slovenia confirmed the application of the Nova Gorica Polytechnic for the change of status into a university, thus enabling the creation of the fourth Slovenian university – the University of Nova Gorica.
- The establishment of the School for Viticulture and Enology.
- The establishment of the Graduate School.
- The establishment of the Centre for Atmospheric Research.
- The establishment of the School of Humanities.
- On 22 december, the Scientific Research Center of the Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Arts (the SAZU) and the Municipality of Ajdovščina join the founders, the Jožef Stefan Institute and the Municipality of Nova Gorica, with the conclusion of an agreement.
- The awarding of first title of doctor honoris causa to the Nobel laureate Prof. Dr. James W. Cronin.
- The promotion of the first Doctor of Science and awarding the first Master’s degree at Nova Gorica Polytechnic.
- Nova Gorica Polytechnic became a co-founder of Primorski tehnološki park.
- The establishment of the Laboratory of Organic Matter Physics.
- The establishment of the School of Applied Sciences.
- The establishment of the Laboratory for Astroparticle Physics.
- On 24 september, the Agreement establishing the School of Environmental Science (the predecessor of Polytechnic and the University of nova Gorica) was concluded at Kromberk castle near nova Gorica.
- The establishment of the Laboratory for Environmental Research.