Modern trends in molecular biology and biotechnology III
This course is part of the programme:
Molecular Genetics and Biotechnology graduate study programme (Third Level)
Objectives and competences
The aim of the course is to communicate state of art knowledge in the filed of molecular genetics, molecular biology and biotechnology. Students interact with an international panel of scientist expert in different disciplines at ICGEB or at UNG.
To improve student critic attitude, a series of Journal Clubs is proposed. PhD students study, understand and discuss selected literature. Journal clubs are distributed throughout the year, and are chaired by a different group leaders.
Student can propose a seminar wish list to the PhD organizer committee for consideration and selection.
Student can also propose to a journal club, and present a scientific article related to his/her own interest.
Content (Syllabus outline)
- Seminars in different fields of molecular biology, molecular genetics, biomedicine and biotechnology given by invited international speakers top quality experts in the field.
- Journal Clubs activities.
- Active participation in a scientific cultural and research community
Intended learning outcomes
Students of the third year actively participate to seminars having a deeper understanding of in molecular genetics, biology ad biotechnology. Students learn ways of interactive and critic scientific discussion with scientists. It is expected that students critically interact during seminars with questions and discussion. Students are self propose Journal club activities to reinforce communication and discussion of a published literature.
Selected literature related to scientific seminars and Journal Clubs.
Active attendance to proposed activities. 100%
Distinguished invited speakers and scientists in molecular bioloy at the University of Nova Gorica and ICGEB
M. Giacca is Professor at University of Trieste
1. Zecchin A, Pattarini L, Gutierrez MI, Mano M, Mai A, Valente S, Myers MP, Pantano S, Giacca M. 2014 Reversible acetylation regulates vascular endothelial growth factor receptor-2 activity. J Mol Cell Biol. 6(2):116-27.
2. Eulalio A, Mano M, Dal Ferro M, Zentilin L, Sinagra G, Zacchigna S, Giacca M. 2012 Functional screening identifies miRNAs inducing cardiac regeneration. Nature. 492(7429):376-81.
3. Lovric J, Mano M, Zentilin L, Eulalio A, Zacchigna S, Giacca M. 2012 Terminal differentiation of cardiac and skeletal myocytes induces permissivity to AAV transduction by relieving inhibition imposed by DNA damage response proteins. Mol Ther. 20(11):2087-97.
4. Maione F, Capano S, Regano D, Zentilin L, Giacca M, Casanovas O, Bussolino F, Serini G, Giraudo E. 2012 Semaphorin 3A overcomes cancer hypoxia and metastatic dissemination induced by antiangiogenic treatment in mice. J Clin Invest. 122(5):1832-48.
5. Giacca M, Baker AH. 2011 Heartening results: the CUPID gene therapy trial for heart failure. Mol Ther. 19(7):1181-2.
University course code: 8MG010
Year of study: 3
- Lectures: 75 hours
- Individual work: 225 hours
Course type: compulsory
Learning and teaching methods:
• participation to seminars • active participation to journal club activities • proposal of seminar topics or extra journal club sections • individual work, study of the literature • ability to critically integrate and interpret new information and knowledge.