Individual research project 2
This course is part of the programme:
Master in Engineering and Management (Second Level)
Objectives and competences
Main goal of the course is to prepare students for independent research work.
Students are encouraged to perform interdisciplinary projects related to specific problems in real working environments. Students can select topic of their specific professional interest, choosing among technology, IT or economy-management fields. Students will have the opportunity to participate in the existing project of the selected mentors. Research work will be performed under the supervision of the selected mentor (regular meetings) and a specialist from the company, if applicable for a given research project.
Project topic will be defined in such a way, that students can later upgrade and broaden it in the frame of the master thesis. This will allow students to gain better knowledge and to solve more complex problems related to their project.
− students know basic methodologies of the research work,
− student know how to use different IT sources,
− students have the ability to acquire knowledge in an independent way,
− students are able to solve real problem using research approaches,
− students are able to present their work, using either written (research paper, poster) or oral presentation.
Content (Syllabus outline)
- Selection of the research topic
- Literature search
- Individual research work under mentor supervision of the mentor
- Data analysis
- Presentation of the research work with a scientific paper
- Presentation of the research work with a poster
- Oral presentation.
Intended learning outcomes
Knowledge and skills:
Students gain knowledge about basic methodology of the research work. They learn how to use different IT sources for the research work and for the knowledge acquisition and broadening. Students gain the ability to solve real problems by a scientific approach. They are also able to critically asses their work and to present it in written and oral form.
Knowledge and skills obtained in this course will help student in the master thesis preparation. Additionally, it can also serve as a relevant reference in their further professional career.
The structure, Format, Content and Style of a Journal-Style Scientific Paper”, dostopno na http://abacus.bates.edu.
I. Kuščer, O strokovnem pisanju, Obzornik, 11, 1996, 73-79.
T. Leben-Pivk, Komentar k članku o strokovnem pisanju avtorja Ivana Kuščerja, Obzornik, 11, 1996, strani 80-81.
Michael Alley, The craft of scientific presentations: Critical steps to succed and critical errors to avoid, Second Edition, 2013, Springer
Presentation of the research work with scientific paper. Presentation of the research work with poster and oral presentation. 75/25
Dr. Dorota Korte , Habilitation Assoc. Prof., Physics
Principal education and research areas:
physics, materials’ ananysis, lasers’ methods
Prof. dr. Dorota Korte received her PhD in physics in 2006 at Technica University of Silesia in Poland. Her researech work started in 2007 at Technical Univeristy of Silesia in Poland where she was employed ane year as assistant and three years as assistant profesor. Since June 2008 she works at Univeristy of Nova Gorica. She is a lecturer of Physics at VVSV and Statistics at VSVV, PTF and FZO.
1. BUDASHEVA, Hanna, KRAVOS, Aleksander, KORTE, Dorota, BRATKIČ, Arne, GAO, Yue, FRANKO, Mladen. Determination of dissolved iron redox species in freshwater sediment using DGT technique coupled to BDS. Acta chimica slovenica, ISSN 1580-3155. [Spletna izd.], 2019, vol. 66, no. 1, str. 239-246, ilustr. http://dx.doi.org/10.17344/acsi.2018.4848, doi: 10.17344/acsi.2018.4848.
2. CABRERA, Humberto, RAMÍREZ-MIQUET, Evelio E., SUÁREZ-VARGAS, José J., BARRERA RAMÍREZ, John Fredy, KORTE, Dorota, NIEMELA, Joseph J. Pump-probe photothermal self-mixing system for highly sensitive trace detection. IEEE sensors journal, ISSN 1530-437X. [Print ed.], 2019, vol. 19, iss. 7, str. 2547 – 2552, ilustr., doi: 10.1109/JSEN.2018.2889600. [COBISS.SI-ID 5335803],
3. CABRERA, Humberto, ASHRAF, I., MATROODI, F., RAMÍREZ-MIQUET, Evelio E., AKBAR, J., SUÁREZ-VARGAS, José J., BARRERA RAMÍREZ, John Fredy, KORTE, Dorota, BUDASHEVA, Hanna, NIEMELA, Joseph J. Photothermal lens technique : a comparison between conventional and self-mixing schemes. Laser physics, ISSN 1054-660X. [Print ed.], 2019, vol. 29, no. 5, str. 1-5, ilustr., doi: 10.1088/1555-6611/ab0a66. [COBISS.SI-ID 5366267],
4. CABRERA, Humberto, KORTE, Dorota, et al. Absorption spectra of ethanol and water using a photothermal lens spectrophotometer. Applied spectroscopy, ISSN 0003-7028, 2018, vol. 72, no. 7, str. 1069-1073, ilustr., doi: 10.1177/0003702818759073. [COBISS.SI-ID 5165307],
5. MAVER, Uroš, XHANARI, Klodian, ŽIŽEK, Marko, KORTE, Dorota, GRADIŠNIK, Lidija, FRANKO, Mladen, FINŠGAR, Matjaž. A combination of interdisciplinary analytical tools for evaluation of multi-layered coatings on medical grade stainless steel for biomedical applications. European journal of pharmaceutics and biopharmaceutics, ISSN 0939-6411. [Print ed.], July 2018, vol. 128, str. 230-246, ilustr., doi: 10.1016/j.ejpb.2018.05.002. [COBISS.SI-ID 21403414],
6. PROSKURNIN, Mikhail A., KORTE, Dorota, FRANKO, Mladen, et al. Photothermal beam deflection spectroscopy for the determination of thermal diffusivity of soils and soil aggregates. International journal of thermophysics, ISSN 1572-9567. [Online ed.], 2018, vol. 39, str. 1-13, ilustr. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10765-018-2401-4, doi: 10.1007/s10765-018-2401-4. [COBISS.SI-ID 5166075],
7. MARTÍN-PALMA, Raúl J., KORTE, Dorota, et al. Thermoelectric properties of nanostructured porous silicon. Materials research express, ISSN 2053-1591, 2018, vol. 5, no. 1, str. 015004-1-015004-17, ilustr. http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/2053-1591/aa9d53, doi: 10.1088/2053-1591/aa9d53. [COBISS.SI-ID 4963579],
8. VODIŠEK, Nives, ŠULIGOJ, Andraž, KORTE, Dorota, LAVRENČIČ ŠTANGAR, Urška. Transparent photocatalytic thin films on flexible polymer substrates. Materials, ISSN 1996-1944, Oct. 2018, vol. 11, iss. 10, str. 1-16, ilustr. http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/ma11101945, doi: 10.3390/ma11101945. [COBISS.SI-ID 5251067],
9. RODIČ, Peter, KATIĆ, Jozefina, KORTE, Dorota, DESIMONE, Paula M., FRANKO, Mladen, CERÉ, Silvia, METIKOŠ-HUKOVIĆ, Mirjana, MILOŠEV, Ingrid. The effect of cerium ions on the structure, porosity and electrochemical properties of Si/Zr-based hybrid sol-gel coatings deposited on aluminum. Metals, ISSN 2075-4701, 2018, vol. 8, no. 4, str. 248-1-248-20, doi: 10.3390/met8040248. [COBISS.SI-ID 31314471],
10. CABRERA, Humberto, KORTE, Dorota, FRANKO, Mladen, et al. Trace detection and photothermal spectral characterization by a tuneable thermal lens spectrometer with white-light excitation. Talanta, ISSN 0039-9140. [Print ed.], Jun. 2018, vol. 183, str. 158-163, ilustr., doi: 10.1016/j.talanta.2018.02.073. [COBISS.SI-ID 5110011]
University course code: 2GI028
Year of study: 2
- prof. dr. Nataša Novak Tušar
- pridr. prof. dr. Imre Cikajlo
- prof. dr. Bojan Podgornik
- doc. dr. Aneta Trajanov
- Lectures: 15 hours
- Individual work: 135 hours
Course type: compulsory
Languages: slovene / english
Learning and teaching methods:
• lectures • individual and group meetings with coordinator • individual meetings with mentor • independent research work under mentor’s supervision • presentation of the research work with scientific paper and poster, oral presentation.