About the school
The School of Humanities offers a combination of studies in traditional humanities topics and current knowledge. We find it essential to:
- ensure that our programmes will meet the highest-quality scientific, professional and didactic standards;
- equip our students with the knowledge and skills required to successfully continue their studies as well as conduct research and professional work in Slovenia or abroad;
- generate and develop new methodologies in humanities in Slovenia;
- be able to investigate both local characteristics and broader global phenomena;
- and have the capacity to pass our knowledge on to our students, colleagues and the general public.
Most of the School’s associates are young, yet well-established researchers, many of them pursued part of their academic education
abroad where they continue to participate in scientific or academic projects, thus ensuring a rapid and effective exchange of ideas between international and Slovenian academic spheres.
All our study programmes above have been developed with the same end in view, which shall continue to provide central orientation in developing new contents that will – while remaining faithful to the old humanities motto Animus facit nobilem – offer the knowledge and expertise that cannot be attained by any other available study programme of this kind.
The mission of the School of Humanities is to present the traditonal and new (those rarely presented so far) humanistic insights, founded on contemporary, internationally relevant scientific publications, an incorporation of these contents into the Slovene national space, and an encouragement of multiculturalism. An added value of all the programmes offered at the School of Humanties is the contents that are highly relevant for an intercultural dialogue within the context of the national borders territory in which the School is situated. Within this region, a humanistic tudy is of vital significance, since it helps promote an understanding of the past which used to be a factor which made mutual life of the peoples living in the region difficult.
At the same time, in a Europe without borders, a respect for national identities is equally relevant; hence Slovene language and culture are uniquely preserved in the study programmes and scientific contents offered by the University of Nova Gorica.
By following scientific excellence and highest educational standards, our aim is to enrich Goriška, Slovene and international context with new humanistic insights and programmes, and through them to contribute to creating connections between the academic and social public in the region in which we live and act.
- Master in Slovene Studies – Linguistics
- Master in Slovene Studies – Literary Science
- Pedagogical Master in Slovene Studies
- Digital Humanities
- European Master in Migration and Intercultural Relations
Dean and Senate
|assoc. prof. dr. Aleš Vaupotič||+386 5 33 15 237 • E-mail|
|assoc. prof. dr. Aleš Vaupotič|
|assist. prof. dr. Helena Dobrovoljc|
|assoc. prof. dr. Marina Lukšič Hacin|
|assoc. prof. dr. Petra Svoljšak|
|assoc. prof. dr. Ana Toroš|
|assist. prof. dr. Rok Žaucer|
|Anika Velišček – a student representative|
|Martin Batagelj – a student representative|