Slovene language I - Phonology
This course is part of the programme:
Bachelor's study programme Slovene Studies (1st Level)
Objectives and competences
The primary objective of this course is to acquaint students primarily with phonetic and phonological features of the standard Slovenian language as well as with those of colloquial Slovenian and chosen dialects in order to demonstrate rules of general phonetics using examples that show methodological characteristics of historical linguistics and structural and generative phonology.
The knowledge gained in the course Slovenian Language – Slovenian Standard Language. This course is closely connected with the course Slovenian Language – Slovenian Standard Language and is a prerequisite for all further courses related to the Slovenian language.
Content (Syllabus outline)
The course is designed so as to allow students to get acquainted with basic characteristics of phonetics and phonology of standard Slovenian.
Intended learning outcomes
Students will acquire basic concepts of phonetic and phonological theory. They will get acquainted with phonetic system of standard Slovenian as well as with those of colloquial Slovenian and chosen dialects. Students will be able to perform a phonetic and phonological analysis of a chosen text. They will get acquainted with accent and orthoepy rules of standard Slovenian.
- Peter Ladefoged, A Course in Phonetics. Fort Worth idr.: Harcourt Brace College Publishers, 1993 (ali kasnejše izdaje). Ustreza tudi primerljiva literatura v kakem drugem jeziku (npr. hrvaščini, nemščini, italijanščini, španščini, poljščini, češčini).
- R. L. Trask, A Dictionary of Phonetics and Phonology. London idr.: Routledge, 1996.
- Jože Toporišič, Enciklopedija slovenskega jezika. Ljubljana: Cankarjeva založba, 1992.
- Toporišič, J. 2000. Slovenska slovnica. Maribor: Obzorja.
20 % midterm exam 80 % written exam
Assistant professor Kozma Ahačič, PhD, is a lecturer at the School of Humanities at the University of Nova Gorica, a researcher participating in the compilation of the Historical Dictionary of the 16th-Century Slovenian Literary Language, Deputy Head of the Fran Ramovš Institute of the Slovenian Languge and the Head of the Section for the History of the Slovenian Language at the Research Centre of the Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Arts. His research interests include the history of grammar writing and the history of linguistic thought as well as other related problems. He is author of several monographs (also in English language) and co-editor of the journal Slovenski jezik/Slovene Linguistic Studies.
- Kozma AHAČIČ, Andreja LEGAN RAVNIKAR, Majda, MERŠE, Jožica NARAT, France NOVAK. Besedje slovenskega knjižnega jezika 16. stoletja. Založba ZRC, Ljubljana, 2011, 641 str.
- Kozma AHAČIČ. Zgodovina misli o jeziku na Slovenskem: katoliška doba (1600–1758). Ljubljana: Založba ZRC, ZRC SAZU, 2012, 278 str.
- Kozma AHAČIČ. The treatment of »nomen« in the first Slovenian grammar (Bohorič 1584). Historiographia linguistica 35/3 (2008), str. 2–31.
- Kozma AHAČIČ. Zgodovina misli o jeziku in književnosti na Slovenskem: protestantizem. Založba ZRC, Ljubljana, 2007, 416 str.
- Kozma AHAČIČ. Izvirne slovenske pesmi Jovana Vesela Koseskega : vsebinski opis, okoliščine nastanka, pregled ocen, jezik, tekstnokritični aparat ter diplomatični in kritični prepis pesmi 1818-1852. Slavistično društvo Slovenije, Ljubljana, 2006, 195 str.
University course code: 1SL225
Year of study: 1
- Lectures: 20 hours
- Exercises: 20 hours
- Seminar: 20 hours
- Individual work: 120 hours
Course type: mandatory
Learning and teaching methods:
- lectures - guided discussion - seminars in which students solve problems encountered during lectures on their own - exercises in accentuation and correct reading of chosen texts performed by students on their own