Magnetism and superconductivity
This course is part of the programme:
Objectives and competences
Students will be introduced to magnetism and superconductivity, that are collective phenomena which cannot be described by a one-electron model.
During the course lectures about the experimental aspects and standard models for the description of magnetism and superconductivity will be given. The developments in magnetism research and magnetic materials associated with spin-based electronics or “spintronics” will be presented.
About 2/3 of the time will be devoted to magnetism and 1/3 to superconductivity.
Solid state physics and Statistical mechanics.
Content (Syllabus outline)
Introduction to magnetism
Intended learning outcomes
Students will acquire knowledge about the physics of magnets and superconductors and an appreciation of the physics due to correlated electrons.
1. K. H. J. Buschow and F. R. de Boer, Physics of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, Kluwer Academic Publishers (2004)
2. J. Stohr and H.C. Siegmann, Magnetism, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg (2006)
3. L. P. Lévy: Magnetism and superconductivity, Springer (2000)
4. Neil W. Ashcroft, N. David Mermin, Solid state physics, Saunders College Publishing (1976)
Seminar, oral exam
Barbara Ressel is Assistant professor of Physics at the University of Nova Gorica.
1. GRAZIOLI, C., GAUTHIER, David, IVANOV, R., BUČAR, Bojan, MERHAR, Miran, RESSEL, Barbara, DE NINNO, Giovanni, et al. CITIUS : an infrared-extreme ultraviolet light source for fundamental and applied ultrafast science. Review of scientific instruments, ISSN 0034-6748, 2014, vol. 85, no. 2, str. 023104-1-023104-6, doi: 10.1063/1.4864298. [COBISS.SI-ID 3223291]
2. CREPALDI, A., RESSEL, Barbara, et al. Evidence of reduced surface electron-phonon scattering in the conduction band of Bi [sub] 2 Se [sub] 3 by nonequilibrium ARPES. Physical Review. B, Condensed matter and materials physics, ISSN 1098-0121, 2013, vol. 88, no. 12, str. 121404-1-121404-5, doi: 10.1103/PhysRevB.88.121404. [COBISS.SI-ID 2876667]
3. CREPALDI, A., RESSEL, Barbara, CILENTO, F., ZACCHIGNA, M., GRAZIOLI, C., BERGER, H.,BUGNON, Ph., KERN, K., GRIONI, M., PARMIGIANI, Fulvio. Ultrafast photodoping and effective Fermi-Dirac distribution of the Dirac particles in Bi [sub] 2 Se [sub] 3. Physical review. B, Condensed matter and materials physics, ISSN 1098-0121, 2012, vol. 86, no. 20, str. 205133-1-205133-5, doi: 10.1103/PhysRevB.86.205133. [COBISS.SI-ID2620155]
University course code: (2FTS12)
Year of study: 1
- Lectures: 30 hours
- Exercises: 30 hours
- Seminar: 120 hours
Course type: mandatory
Languages: slovenian / english
Learning and teaching methods: