University of Nova Gorica researches receive the Puh Award
The Puh Award for outstanding achievements in the development of methods for measuring aerosol absorption – Dr. Luka Drinovec, Assoc. Prof. Dr. Griša Močnik, and the development teams of Aerosol, d. o. o. and Robomed, d. o. o.
Today, the Linhart Hall of the Cankarjev Dom in Ljubljana was the venue for the award ceremony of the Republic of Slovenia for outstanding achievements in scientific research and development in 2021.
This year's award recipients are Dr. Luka Drinovec and Assoc. Prof. Dr. Griša Močnik, researchers at the Centre for Atmospheric Research, University of Nova Gorica, Haze Instruments, d. o. o., "Jožef Stefan" Institute, and in the past also Aerosol, d. o. o., who together with the development teams of the companies Aerosol, d. o. o. and Robomed, d. o. o., received the Puh Award for outstanding achievements in the development of methods for the measurement of aerosol absorption.
A simplified rationale:
Dr. Luka Drinovec and Assoc. Prof. Dr. Griša Močnik (University of Nova Gorica, Haze Instruments, d. o. o., "Jožef Stefan" Institute, in the past also Aerosol, d. o. o.) and development teams of Aerosol, d. o. o. and Robomed, d. o. o., have developed innovative new methods and instruments for the measurement of light-absorbing aerosols, in particular black carbon. These aerosols are the second most important contributors to global warming and are highly relevant for global and regional climate change. The different innovative instruments they have developed have opened up new scientific fields, and are being used on all continents, from sea level to the Himalayan peaks. The development has enabled the creation and growth of several small Slovenian companies, which now completely dominate this global market niche. The group has put Slovenia on the world map as a leader in the field of aerosol measurement.
In addition to the awards received by our colleagues, the following awards and recognitions have been conferred:
- Zois Awards for lifetime achievement. Recipients: Prof. Dr. Anuška Ferligoj and Prof. Dr. Julijana Kristl.
- Puh Award for lifetime achievement. Recipient: Prof. Dr. Borka Jerman Blažič.
- Zois Awards for exceptional achievements. Recipients: Prof. Dr. Stanislav Gobec, Prof. Dr. Goran Dražić, Prof. Dr. István Kovács and Prof. Dr. Tomaž Zwitter.
- Zois Awards for significant achievements. Recipients: Assoc. Prof. Dr. Vita Poštuvan, Prof. Dr. Marko Anderluh, Dr. Matej Kanduč, Prof. Dr. Veronika Kralj-Iglič and Prof. Ddr. Aleš Iglič, Prof. Dr. Nataša Vaupotič and Prof. Dr. Vesna Zadnik.
- Ambassador of Science Award. Recipient: Dr. Saša Bajt.
Andreja Leban, Public Relations