Doctoral study programme Physics
Objectives and competences
The aim of this course is to introduce the students the basic physical processes in the atmosphere and their impact on weather and climate phenomena.
The contents of the course includes an overview of basic chapters of Atmospheric Physics:
Intended learning outcomes
Students will apply their basic knowledge in thermodynamics, radiation and dynamics to the physical properties of the atmosphere and their impact on weather and climate.
• J. M. Wallace & P. V. Hobbs, Atmospheric Science – An Introductury Survey (Chapters 1, 3, 4, 6, 7), Elsevier / Academic Press, 2nd edition
• D. G. Andrewa, 2000. Introduction to Atmospheric Physics (Chapters 1, 2, 3, 4, 5), Cambridge University Press, 1st edition
• J. Houghton, 2002. The Physics of Atmospheres (Chapters, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 10), Cambridge University Press, 1st edition
• M. L. Salby, 1996. Fundamentals of Atmospheric Physics (All Chapters), Elsevier / Academic Press, 1st edition
Grading of written seminar (50), oral exam (50)
Associate professor of Meteorology at the University of Nova Gorica.
University course code: 3FIi19
Year of study: 1. year
- pridr. prof. dr. Klemen Bergant
- Lectures: 30 hours
- Exercises: 30 hours
- Individual work: 210 hours
Course kind: general elective
Learning and teaching methods:
lectures, seminars, practicals, individual hours with the lecturer