Methods in linguistic theory
Cognitive science of language Third Level
Objectives and competences
To enable the students to independently obtain linguistic data from informants (as opposed to secondary sources, e.g. books, reports etc.) and to analyze raw informant data
• Ability to conduct independent field work in linguistics
• Ability to interact with informants during formulation and analysis of interesting and theoretically significant problems in linguistics
“Introduction to Syntax” and “Introduction to phonology”
The course focuses on the methodologies of obtaining raw language data from native informants. The data so obtained will be analyzed using theoretical tools introduced in the introductory theoretical courses.
Intended learning outcomes
Basic knowledge of field work in linguistics.
The readings will be determined based on the particular language discussed in the course.
Homework assignments and final term paper (50% / 50%).
Assistant professor of Linguistics at the University of Gorica (doc. dr. Rok Žaucer).
Associate professor of Linguistics at the University of Nova Gorica (prof. dr. Artur Stepanov).
- ALMOAMMER, Alhanouf, SULLIVAN, Jessica, DONLAN, Chris, MARUŠIČ, Franc, ŽAUCER, Rok, O'DONNELL, Timothy, BARNER, David. Grammatical morphology as a source of early number word meanings. 2013. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, ISSN 0027-8424, vol. 110, no. 46, str. 18448-18453.
- POHAR PERME, Maja, STARE, Janez, ŽAUCER, Rok, ŽAUCER, Matjaž. 2012. Comparison of the citation distribution and h-index between groups of different sizes. Journal of informetrics, ISSN 1751-1577, vol. 6, iss. 4, str. 712-720.
- ŽAUCER, Rok. 2013. A case for result-modifying prefixes. V: PODOBRYAEV, Alexander (ur.). Annual Workshop on Formal Approaches to Slavic Linguistics : the Second MIT Meeting 2011, (Michigan Slavic Materials, vol. 58). Ann Arbor: Michigan Slavic Publications, str. 290-304.
- MARUŠIČ, Franc, ŽAUCER, Rok. 2013. A note on sluicing and island repair. V: FRANKS, Steven (ur.). Annual Workshop on Formal Approaches to Slavic Linguistics : the Third Indiana Meeting 2012, (Michigan Slavic Materials, vol. 59). Ann Arbor: Michigan Slavic Publications, str. 176-189.
- ŽAUCER, Rok. 2011. Some multiply prefixed 'verbs' as covert serial verb constructions. V: KOSTA, Peter (ur.), SCHÜRCKS, Lilia (ur.). Formalization of grammar in Slavic languages : contributions of the Eighth International Conference on Formal Description of Slavic Languages, FDSL VIII 2009, University of Potsdam, December 2-5, 2009, (Potsdam linguistic investigations, ISSN 1862-524X, vol. 6). Frankfurt am Main: P. Lang, str. 391-405.
University course code: 3JEZ005
Year of study: 1. year
Semester: 1 ali 2
- prof. dr. Rok Žaucer
- Lectures: 45 hours
- Individual work: 75 hours
Course kind: obligatory
Learning and teaching methods:
• lectures • individual work under supervision of the instructor