Research seminar: Current trends in syntax II
Cognitive science of language Third Level
Objectives and competences
The primary goal of this course is to familiarize the students with the most relevant issues of modern syntactic theory.
The acquired competences are:
-Ability to critically think about a given linguistic topic and finding theoretically relevant data
-Ability to solve specific theoretical linguistic problems.
Lectures are organized as a weekly or biweekly intensive course.
Introduction to syntax
Results of the current linguistic investigations by the worldwide known linguists.
Intended learning outcomes
-Knowledge of current topics and problems in contemporary syntactic theory.
-Knowledge of current topics and problems in experimental syntax.
-Understanding the differences in manifestation of the universal grammatical principles in a concrete language or language family
-Experience with working with non-native language data, also with speakers of a selected language
Vezana na konkretno vsebino predmeta (članki iz jezikoslovnih znanstvenih revij – Linguistic Inquiry, Natural Language and Linguistic Theory, Lingua, Language, Theoretical Linguistics, The Linguistic Review …).
-Active participation at the lectures (50%) -final project whose topic is connected with the content of the course (50%). During the intensive course students present their own research on the topic of the seminar. Before the start of the intensive course, students must read and work through the required literature on their own. This literature includes scientific articles that will be discussed during the course.
Associate professor of Linguistics at the University of Niš.
- Arsenijević, Boban. 2013. The for-phrase. Philologia Mediana 4(5): 515-540.
- Alsina, Alex and Boban Arsenijević. 2012. There is no third face of agreement. Language 88(2): 369-380.
- Arsenijević, Boban and Wolfram Hinzen. 2012. On the absence of X-within-X-recursion in human grammar. Linguistic Inquiry 43(3): 423-440.
- Arsenijević, Boban. 2012. Semantic ontology of deadjectival Nominalizations. Recherches Linguistiques de Vincennes 40: 53-72.
- Arsenijević, Boban. 2011. Serbo-Croatian coordinating conjunctions and the syntax-semantics interface. The Linguistic Review 28(2): 175-206.
University course code: 3JEZ029
Year of study: 2. year
- prof. dr. Boban Arsenijević
- Lectures: 45 hours
- Individual work: 135 hours
Course kind: elective
Learning and teaching methods:
• lectures • individual work under supervision of the lecturer responsible for the course • presentation and interpretation of the student's own research in open class discussion • discussion of published research articles on the selected topic