Modern trends in molecular biology and biotechnology II
Molecular Genetics and Biotechnology graduate study programme (Third Level)
Objectives and competences
The primary aim of the course is to transmit state of art knowledge in the filed of molecular genetics, molecular biology and biotechnology. Students have the possibility to interact an international panel of scientist expert in different disciplines. The participation of activities is an invaluable occasion of scientific and cultural growth offered to students that are strongly advised to actively participate to the scientific community within an international research centre.
To improve student critic attitude, a series of Journal Clubs is proposed, where PhD students study, understand and discuss selected literature. Journal clubs distributed throughout the year, and are chaired by a different group leaders.
Student can propose a seminar wish list to the PhD organizer committee for consideration and selection.
Student can propose to present a scientific article related to his/her own interest.
• Seminars in different fields of molecular biology, molecular genetics, biomedicine and biotechnology given by invited international speakers top experts in the field.
• Journal Clubs, chaired by different lab group leaders. The selected literature could be either related to one of the seminar or selected among interesting papers recently published.
• Integration in a scientific cultural and research community
Intended learning outcomes
Students of the second year have a deeper understanding of actual trends in molecular genetics, biology ad biotechnology. Students learn ways of interactive and critic scientific discussion. It is expected that students critically interact during seminars with questions and discussion. Students are self propose Journal club activities to reinforce communication and discussion of a published literature.
Selected literature related to scientific seminars and Journal Clubs.
Active attendance to proposed activities. 100%
Priznani vabljeni predavatelji in sodelavci s področja molekularne biologije in biotehnologije na Univerzi v Novi Gorici in ICGEB.
Nosilec predmeta Alessandro Marcello je pridruženi profesor ranga izredni profesor za področje molekularne biologije na Univerzi v Novi Gorici.
- Licastro D, Rajasekharan S, Dal Monego S, Segat L, D'Agaro P, Marcello A. 2020. Isolation and Full-Length Genome Characterization of SARS-CoV-2 from COVID-19 Cases in Northern Italy. J Virol. 94(11):e00543-20. doi: 10.1128/JVI.00543-20
- Carletti T, Zakaria MK, Faoro V, Reale L, Kazungu Y, Licastro D, Marcello A. 2019. Viral priming of cell intrinsic innate antiviral signaling by the unfolded protein response. Nat Commun. 10(1):3889. doi: 10.1038/s41467-019-11663-2.
- Sarracino A, Gharu L, Kula A, Pasternak AO, Avettand-Fenoel V, Rouzioux C, Bardina M, De Wit S, Benkirane M, Berkhout B, Van Lint C, Marcello A. 2018 Posttranscriptional regulation of HIV-1 gene expression during replication and reactivation from latency by nuclear matrix protein MATR3. MBio. 13;9(6).
- Zakaria MK, Carletti T, Marcello A. 2018. Cellular Targets for the Treatment of Flavivirus Infections. Front Cell Infect Microbiol. 8:398. doi: 10.3389/fcimb.2018.00398.
- Çevik RE, Cesarec M, Filipe A, Licastro D, McLauchlan J and Marcello A. 2017. Hepatitis C virus NS5A targets the nucleosome assembly protein NAP1L1 to control the innate cellular response, J Virol. doi: 10.1128/JVI.00880-17
University course code: 8MG006
Year of study: 2. year
- pridr. prof. dr. Alessandro Marcello
- Seminar: 75 hours
- Individual work: 225 hours
Course kind: compulsory
Learning and teaching methods:
• active participation to seminars sections • active participation to journal club activities • proposal of seminar topics or extra journal club sections • individual work, study of the literature • ability to critically integrate and interpret new information and knowledge.