Company Strategic Management
Master in Engineering and Management (Second Level)
Objectives and competences
Students will develop basic competences:
• Ability to analyze, synthesize and predict the impact of strategic decisions,
• Management of research methods, procedures and processes in the field of strategic management and development of critical thinking and self-critical review,
• Ability to integrate knowledge from strategic management to solve problems in a larger multidisciplinary context.
• Be able to explain their own viewpoints and decisions, and take into account criticism and comments of colleagues.
Students will develop subject-specific competences:
• understanding the impact of social, economic and political forces on the design, planning and implementation of organization's policy,
• understanding of the changes brought about by the globalization process in the design, planning and implementation of organization's policy
• the ability to take a critical position on the relationship between the various elements of organizational policy and time frame in which they take place,
• Ability to solve practical business problems in the field of strategic management,
• the ability to make their own conclusions and place them in appropriate professional framework,
• ability to use critical analysis and synthesis in solving complex multidisciplinary scientific and research work in the field of strategic management.
Basic knowledge of organization and management, economic-business, legal and information-communication sciences.
- Introduction to strategy
- External Analysis
- Internal Analysi
- Designing Business Level Strategies
- Designing Corporate Level Strategies
- Global Strategie
- Strategy Implementation & Strategic Change
- Leadership & Corporate Governance and Organizational Policy
- Sustainable Development and Corporate Social Responsibility
Intended learning outcomes
• Understand the importance and role of influential stakeholders for the performance of the organization.
• Understand the difference between different and often conflicting schools of strategic management.
• Understand the importance of dualities within diffrent conten and time frameworks of organizational policy;
• Be able to differentiate between assets, capabilities and core capabilities of the organization.
• Understand different approaches to management of organizational culture and for its success.
• Be able to create a company mission and vision statement and understand their importance for effectiveness of organization.
• Be able to design corporate, business and functionals strategies according to external environment and internal capabilities;
• Understand the reasons which prevent unsuccessful of organization.
• Biloslavo, R. (2008), Strateški management in management spreminjanja, (Managerjeva knjižnica). Koper: Univerza na Primorskem, Fakulteta za management.
• Daft, R. L. (2015). Management (12th Edition). South-Western College Pub. Prosto dostopna na spletni strani http://www.aazea.com/book/management-12th-edition/.
• Markič, M. in Kreslin, D. (2019). Vpliv uporabe orodij managerjev na ekonomsko donosnost. Novo mesto: Fakulteta za organizacijske študije.
• D. Papler in Š. Bojnec (2011): Naložbe v trajnostni razvoj energetike, Koper: Univerza na Primorskem, Fakulteta za management http://www.fm-kp.si/zalozba/ISBN/978-961-266-128-1.pdf.
• D. Papler in Š. Bojnec (2015): Konkurenčnost in dejavniki dobave električne energije, Koper: Univerza na Primorskem, Fakulteta za management http://www.fm-kp.si/zalozba/ISBN/978-961-266-188-5.pdf
• Short written assignments • Long written assignments • Presentations • Final examination (writen) 15/30/5/50
Mirko Markič is a full professor of management and a research councillor.
He received a doctoral degree from the Faculty of Organisational Sciences, the University of Maribor. After working in the automotive sector for 12 years, he started employment with the College of Management - today's Faculty of Management, the University of Primorska. He was the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Education and in charge of coordinating research and development activities for two terms of office. He was also involved in teaching at the University of Ljubljana, the University of Maribor, the University of Nova Gorica and the Faculty of Organization Studies in Novo mesto. He cooperated with foreign institutions: the University of Niš (Serbia), Yasar University (Turkey) and the Slovene Education Consortium (Italy).. He is also a head/member of many research and entrepreneurial projects. His fields of research are administration and organization sciences - management and public health service (health and safety at work).
• BELAC, Sonja, KOŠMRLJ, Katarina, MARKIČ, Mirko. Organizacijska kultura v izbrani pravni osebi javnega sektorja = Organisational culture in selected legal entity in public sector. Mednarodna revija za javno upravo, 2017, letn. 15, št. 2, str. 41-78, doi: 10.17573/ipar.2017.2.02.
• KAVČIČ, Klemen, MEŠKO, Maja, MEŠKO ŠTOK, Zlatka, MARKIČ, Mirko. Corporate policy and the degree of management sophistication in Slovenian companies. International journal of management and enterprise development, 2015, vol. 14, no. 1, str. 70-88, doi: 10.1504/IJMED.2015.069314.
• MARKIČ, Mirko, KRESLIN, Damijan. Vpliv uporabe orodij managerjev na ekonomsko donosnost. Novo mesto: Fakulteta za organizacijske študije, 2019.
• MORETTI, Melita (urednik), MARKIČ, Mirko (urednik). Organizacijska kultura in organizacijska klima: teorija, praksa in raziskave v Sloveniji. Koper: Založba Univerze na Primorskem, 2017.
• PAVLIČ, Miran, LIKAR, Borut, PAVLIČ, Alenka, MARKIČ, Mirko. Managing occupational injuries records in Slovenia from 1948 to 2008. Safety science, 2011, vol. 49, is. 6, str. 834-842, doi: 10.1016/j.ssci.2011.01.013.
• PAVLIČ, Miran, MARKIČ, Mirko. Management varnosti pri delu, delovne razmere in gospodarska učinkovitost. Novo mesto: Fakulteta za organizacijske študije, 2018. 304 str., tabele, graf. prikazi. http://www.fos-unm.si/media/pdf/zaloznistvo/Management_varnosti_pri_delu.pdf.
• PERŠIČ, Anton, MARKIČ, Mirko, PERŠIČ, Marko. The impact of socially responsible management standards on the business success of an organisation. Total quality management & business excellence: an official journal of the European Society for Organisational Excellence, 2018, iss. 1-2, vol. 29, str. 225-237.
• VERLE, Karmen, MARKIČ, Mirko, KODRIČ, Borut, GORENC ZORAN, Annmarie. Managerial competencies and organizational structures. Industrial management + data systems, 2014, no. 6, vol. 114, str. 922-935.
University course code: 2GI005
Year of study: 2. year
- prof. dr. Mirko Markič
- prof. dr. Mirko Markič
- doc. dr. Drago Papler, mag.gosp.inž.
- Lectures: 30 hours
- Exercises: 15 hours
- Individual work: 180 hours
Course kind: mandatory
Learning and teaching methods:
type of learning/teaching: • frontal teaching • work in smaller groups or pair work • independent student work teaching methods: • explanation • conversation/discussion/debate • case studies • solving excercises • inviting guests from companies