Contemporary measurement techniques
Master in Engineering and Management (Second Level)
Objectives and competences
Main goal of the course is that students gain knowledge, understands and are able to use different contemporary spectroscopic and microscopic measurement techniques with IR, visible, UV and X-ray light. Students understand principles of modern physics, numerical and analytical methods necessary for interpretation and evaluation of measured data and error analysis. Student can critically evaluate the obtained results of the analysis. They know basic elements of radiation protection needed for the work with ionisation radiation.
One of the important competences is that students have the ability to autonomously upgrade their knowledge in the fast developing field of contemporary measurement techniques.
• Data acquisition and data analysis
• Basic statistical methods for evaluation of measured data.
• Error analysis
• Modeling of data (Least-square
• Methods for crve fitting
• Fourier analysis of periodic signals
• Basics of modern physics
• Sources, detectors and optical elements for IR, visible, UV and X-ray light.
• Precise interferometric measurements of distances and displacements
• Atomic and molecular spectroscopic methods
• X-ray spectroscopic methods for analysis of strucure of materials
• Optical and X-ray and microscopic methods
• Measurement with gama rays in industry
• Radiation protection
Intended learning outcomes
Knowledge and understanding:
Students learn the principles of interaction of IR, visible, UV and X-rays with matter. They gain knowledge about characteristics of most important light sources for different frequency domain (lasers, x-ray tubes, synchrotron radiation sources, gama sources). They understand the operation of main optical elements and detectors forlight, know the necessary experimental equipment, understand and can use basic analytical and numerical methods for analysis and interpretation of measured spectra (data modeling with least square methods, fourier analysis of periodic signals. They can evaluate and analyse experimental errors.
Students are able to actively participate in realization of measurements with contemporary measurement techniques and criticaly asses and interpret the results.
S. L. Meyer, Data analysis for scientists and engineers, J. Wiley and Sons (1975)
D. A. Skoog, F. J. Holler, T. A. Nieman, Principles of instrumental analysis, Saunders College Publishing, Philadelpia, 1998.
Pavia, Donald L.; Lampman, Gary M.; Kriz, George S.; Vyvyan, James A. Introduction to spectroscopy
I. Arčon, Študijsko gradivo za fiziko in za rentgensko spektroskopijo na spletnih straneh: http://www.p-ng.si/~arcon/fizikawww
e-gradivo v sistemu Moodle.ung.si (video predavanja, prosojnice,povzetki predavanj, YouTube predstavitve, …)
W. H. Press, B. P. Flannery, S. A. Teukolsky, W. T. Vettering, Numerical Recipes, Cambridge University press, Cambridge, 1986. Openly licensed textbooks at OpenStax, Rice University, Huston Texas, USA: https://openstax.org/subjects/science
University Physics Volume 1 https://openstax.org/details/books/university-physics-volume-1
University Physics Volume 2 https://openstax.org/details/books/university-physics-volume-2
University Physics Volume 3 https://openstax.org/details/books/university-physics-volume-3
F. Cvelbar, Merjenje ionizirajočega sevanja, DMFA – založništvo, Ljubljana 2003
Homework and final oral exam. During the course student prepares reports on the results of the analysis of XAS spectra in a written form and defends it orally in an open discussion with professor and students. 50/50
Prof. dr. Iztok Arčon is a full professor for the field of physics, employed at UNG. His research filed is analysis of atomic and molecular structure of new materials with X-ray absorption spectroscopy with synchrotron radiation.
- TIEULI, Sebastiano, BALDI, Franco, ARČON, Iztok, VOGEL-MIKUŠ, Katarina, GALLO, Michele, SPERNI, Laura, PICCOLO, Oreste, PAGANELLI, Stefano. Alternative recovery and valorization of metals from exhausted catalytic converters in a new smart polymetallic catalyst. ChemistrySelect, ISSN 2365-6549, 2019, vol. 4, iss. 15, str. 4624-4632, ilustr. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/slct.201803925, doi: 10.1002/slct.201803925. [COBISS.SI-ID 5054287] 2. DOMINKO, Robert, VIŽINTIN, Alen, AQUILANTI, Giuliana, STIEVANO, Lorenzo, JOSEPH HELEN, Maria, REDDY MUNNANGI, Anji, FICHTNER, Maximilian, ARČON, Iztok. Polysulfides formation in different electrolytes from the perspective of X-ray absorption spectroscopy. Journal of the Electrochemical Society, ISSN 1945-7111. [Online ed.], 2018, vol. 165, no. 1, str. A5014-A5019. http://jes.ecsdl.org/content/165/1/A5014.full.pdf+html, doi: 10.1149/2.0151801jes. [COBISS.SI-ID 6296602] 3. VALANT, Matjaž, KOLODIAZHNYI, Taras, ARČON, Iztok, AGUESSE, Frederic, AXELSSON, Anna-Karin, ALFORD, Neil McN. The origin of magnetism in Mn-doped SrTiO [sub] 3. Advanced functional materials, ISSN 1616-301X, maj 2012, vol. 22, no. 10, str. 2114-2122. [COBISS.SI-ID 2265083].
- Arčon I., Paganelli S., Piccolo O., Gallo M., Vogel-Mikus K., Baldi F.,
XAS analysis of iron and palladium bonded to a polysaccharide produced anaerobically by a strain of Klebsiella oxytoca. Journal of Synchrotron Radiation 22, 1215-1226 (2015).
- VOGEL-MIKUŠ, Katarina, ARČON, Iztok, KUMP, Peter, PELICON, Primož, NEČEMER, Marijan, VAVPETIČ, Primož, KOREN, Špela, REGVAR, Marjana. Analytical tools for exploring metal accumulation and tolerance in plants. V: ANJUM, Naser A. (ur.). Phytotechnologies : remediation of environmental
contaminants. Boca Raton (FL): Taylor & Francis, cop. 2013, str. 443-495,
ilustr. [COBISS.SI-ID 2671439].
TERŽAN, Janvit, DJINOVIĆ, Petar, ZAVAŠNIK, Janez, ARČON, Iztok, ŽERJAV, Gregor, SPREITZER, Matjaž, PINTAR, Albin. Alkali and earth alkali modified CuOx/SiO2 catalysts for propylene partial oxidation : what determines the selectivity?. Applied catalysis. B, Environmental, ISSN 0926-3373. [Print ed.], 5 Dec. 2018, vol. 237, str. 214-227, doi: 10.1016/j.apcatb.2018.05.092. [COBISS.SI-ID 31445799]
- JOVANOVIČ, Primož, HODNIK, Nejc, RUIZ-ZEPEDA, Francisco, ARČON, Iztok, JOZINOVIĆ, Barbara, ZORKO, Milena, BELE, Marjan, ŠALA, Martin, ŠELIH, Vid Simon, HOČEVAR, Samo B., GABERŠČEK, Miran. Electrochemical dissolution of iridium and iridium oxide particles in acidic media : transmission electron microscopy, electrochemical flow cell coupled to inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry, and X-ray absorption spectroscopy study. Journal of the American Chemical Society : JACS, ISSN 0002-7863, Sep. 2017, vol. 139, iss. 36, str. 12837-12846. http://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/jacs.7b08071, doi: 10.1021/jacs.7b08071. [COBISS.SI-ID 6203674]
University course code: 2GI027
Year of study: 1. year
- prof. dr. Iztok Arčon
- prof. dr. Iztok Arčon
- Lectures: 30 hours
- Exercises: 15 hours
- Individual work: 180 hours
Course kind: elective
Learning and teaching methods:
• lectures • exercises on software for the analysis of spectra under supervision of the lecturer responsible for the course. • individual analysis of spectra under supervision of the lecturer responsible for the course • presentation of the results of the analysis to other students in the group and open discussion about the analysis topic under supervision of the lecturer responsible for the course.