Practical or theoretical course I
Molecular Genetics and Biotechnology graduate study programme (Third Level)
Objectives and competences
Students are invited to attend a specific practical and/or theoretical workshop in the field of molecular genetics, molecular biology, biomedicine or biotechnology. The choice of specific elective course is subjected to mentor agreement.
The primary goal of this course is to give students the possibility to deeply study a specific subject, closer to the student research project and personal interests within the annual offers of the program at UNG or ICGEB.
This activity favors the interaction and exchange with colleges and scientific communities, an important component of student formation. Opportunities of interaction with other colleagues are particularly important for student career progression and future employment.
Practical and/or theoretical workshops on student choice in the field of :
• molecular genetics
• molecular biology
• technology transfer
Intended learning outcomes
Participation to practical and/or theoretical workshops is expected to improve student’s competences in:
• Background theoretical knowledge on specific subjects
• Technical know-how
• Communication skills
• Discussion and critical thinking
• Personal contacts in scientific communities
• Data presentation
• Conference contribution (poster presentations, abstracts, proceedings etc).
Literature relevant for the course.
Attendance (10%) and final questionnaire (90%).
Lorena Butinar is assistant professor in the field of microbiology at the University of Nova Gorica.
- DASHKO, Sofia, LIU, Ping, VOLK, Helena, BUTINAR, Lorena, PIŠKUR, Jure, FAY, Justin. Changes in the relative abundance of two Saccharomyces species from oak forests to wine fermentations. Frontiers in microbiology, ISSN 1664-302X, 2016, vol. 7, pp. 1-24. doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2016.00215.
- DASHKO, Sofia, ZHOU, Nerve, TINTA, Tinkara, SIVILOTTI, Paolo, STERNAD LEMUT, Melita, TROŠT, Kajetan, GAMERO, Amparo, BOEKHOUT, Teun, BUTINAR, Lorena, VRHOVŠEK, Urška, PIŠKUR, Jure. Use of non-conventional yeast improves the wine aroma profile of Ribolla Gialla. Journal of industrial microbiology & biotechnology, ISSN 1367-5435, 2015, vol. 42, issue 7, pp. 997-1010. doi: 10.1007/s10295-015-1620-y.
- BUTINAR, Lorena, MOHORČIČ, Martina, DEYRIS, Valérie, DUQUESNE, Katia, IACAZIO, Gilles, CLAEYS-BRUNO, Magalie, FRIEDRICH, Josepha, ALPHAND, Veronique. Prevalence and specificity of Baeyer-Villiger monooxygenases in fungi. Phytochemistry, ISSN 0031-9422. [Print ed.], 2015, vol. 117, pp. 144-153, doi: 10.1016/j.phytochem.2015.06.009.
- BUTINAR, Lorena, FRISVAD, Jens Christian, GUNDE-CIMERMAN, Nina. Hypersaline waters : a potential source of foodborne toxigenic aspergilli and penicillia. FEMS microbiology, ecology, ISSN 0168-6496, 2011, vol. 77, no. 1, str. 186-199, doi: 10.1111/j.1574-6941.2011.01108.x.
- BUTINAR, Lorena, STRMOLE, Tadeja, GUNDE-CIMERMAN, Nina. Relative incidence of ascomycetous yeasts in Arctic coastal environments. Microbial ecology, ISSN 0095-3628, 2011, vol. 61, no. 4, str. 832-843, doi: 10.1007/s00248-010-
University course code: 8MG004
Year of study: 1. year
- doc. dr. Lorena Butinar
- doc. dr. Lorena Butinar
- Lectures: 20 hours
- Exercises: 20 hours
- Individual work: 50 hours
Course kind: elective
Learning and teaching methods:
• participation to lectures • participation to practical workshops • participation to focused courses • data presentation • individual study from provided literature