Strategies and Technologies for Reducing Atmospheric Pollution
This course is part of the programme:
Master’s study programme Environment (2nd level)
Objectives and competences
The main goal is to acquaint the students with the most important sources of air pollution, legislation, and the methods of air pollution control in case of point and other emission sources. The actual problems of air pollution in Slovenia, Europe and the USA shall contribute to the better understanding of the problems and solutions of atmospheric pollution.
Prerequisite knowledge of general chemistry.
Content (Syllabus outline)
- Characteristics, sources and impacts of atmospheric pollutants
- Legislation pertaining to the strategy for reducing point source pollution
- Legislation pertaining to the strategy for reducing mobile source pollution and a sample strategy of air pollution control in Slovenia
- Fields of environmental protection
- Meteorology of atmospheric pollution and air pollution control
Intended learning outcomes
Knowledge and understanding:
Students understand and can explain basic concepts of (i) characteristics of air pollutants, (ii) standards (they get knowledge about ambient air quality standards and emission standards), (iii) air pollution sources, (iv) effects of various air pollutants, (v) air pollution measurements
(they are acquainted with ambient sampling, source sampling, sample location, gas flow rate, relative humidity, determination of size distribution) (vi) air quality managements (they are inducted into the recent focus, ozone air toxics, green house gasses reduction and industrial ecology approches, environmental laws), (vii) control (they understand about the ways in which emissions diffuse and become diluted in the atmosphere and the methods for controling air pollution emissions).
Through the seminar work students learn to present one of the issues from the topics outlined above and discuss it with other students.
- C. D. Cooper, F. C. Alley: Air Pollution Control. A design Approach, Waveland Press Inc., Prospect Heights, 1994.
- Lawrence K. Wang, Norman C. Pereira, Yung-Tse Hung: Air Pollution Control Engineering, Springer Scinec+Business Media LLC, 2004
- Karl B. Schnelle, Jr., Charles A. Brown: Air Pollution Control Technology Handbook, CRC Press, 2002
- Barbara J. Finlayson-Pitts, James N. Pitts, Jr: Chemistry of the Upper and Lower Atmosphere, Academic Press 1999
Podrobnejša literatura pri določenih poglavjih/Further reading for specific topics:
- Taking Toxics Out of the Air, US EPA, www.epa.gov/air/ (202) 564-7400
- Air Pollution Control Priorities and Methods: Handbook of Chemical Technology and Pollution Control (Third Edition) (2005) 71–103
- European Commission Directive 2000/39/EC A first list of Indicative Occupational Exposure Limit Values (IOELV): http://www.hse.gov.uk/consult/condocs/cd166.pdf
- Wikipedia – Air Pollution: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_pollution
- Wikipedia – Scrubber for Air Pollution Control: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrubber
- Institute of Clean Air Companies (ICAC) – Brief Descriptions of Air Pollution Control Technologies: http://www.icac.com/default.asp?page=Control_Technologies
- Seminar paper (30 %) • Written examination (60 %) • Oral examination (10 %)
Assistant Professor of Chemistry at the University of Nova Gorica
Dr. Minoo Tasbihi je od leta 2007 mlada raziskovalka v Laboratoriju za raziskave o okolju. S strani ARRS-ja je pridobila štipendijo za doktorski študij, svoje doktorsko delo pa je zagovarjala decembra 2010. Leta 2011 je začela s post-doktorskim izobraževanjem na Eindhoven University of Technology v Eindhovnu na Nizozemskem, od koder se je zaradi porodniškega dopusta vrnila že v letu 2012. Dr. Minoo Tasbihi dela kot raziskovalna asistentka, vključena je v različne projekte in mentorira tako dodiplomske kot doktorske študente pri laboratorijskem delu. Letos je bila izvoljena v naziv docentke za področje kemije. Objavila je 9 znanstvenih člankov in ima več kot 87 citacij.
Dr. Minoo Tasbihi is a young researcher at the Laboratory for Environmental Research since December 2007. She was chosen to receive a PhD fellowship granted by Slovenian Research Agency. She defended her PhD work in December 2010 . In 2011 she got a postdoctoral position at Eindhoven University of Technology, Eindhoven, The Netherlands. Due to maternity leave she returned to Slovenia already in 2012. Dr. Minoo Tasbihi works as a research assistant, she is involved in different projects and she is consulting our diploma and Ph.D. students in the laboratory as well. This year she was promoted to the Assistant Professor position for Chemistry. She has published 9 scientific articles and she holds over 87 citations.
1. TASBIHI, Minoo, KETE, Marko, RAICHUR, Ashok M., NOVAK TUŠAR, Nataša, LAVRENČIČ ŠTANGAR, Urška. Photocatalytic degradation of gaseous toluene by using immobilized titania/silica on aluminum sheets. Environ. sci. pollut. res. int.. [Print ed.], 2012, vol. 19, no. , p. 3735-3742, doi:10.1007/s11356-012-0864-6. [COBISS.SI-ID 2561531]
2. TASBIHI, Minoo, LAVRENČIČ ŠTANGAR, Urška, ČERNIGOJ, Urh, JIRKOVSKÝ, Jaromír, BAKARDIJEVA, Snejana, NOVAK TUŠAR, Nataša. Photocatalytic oxidation of gaseous toluene on titania/mesoporous silica powders in a fluidized-bed reactor. Catal. today. [Print ed.], 2011, vol. 161, p. 181-188, doi: 10.1016/j.cattod.2010.08.015. [COBISS.SI-ID 1544955]
3. LAVRENČIČ ŠTANGAR, Urška, ŠULIGOJ, Andraž, KETE, Marko, TASBIHI, Minoo. Fotokatalitske tanke plasti in njihova uporaba = Photocatalytic thin films and their application. Vakuumist, dec. 2011, letn. 31, št. 4, p. 4-9. [COBISS.SI-ID 25628711]
4. TASBIHI, Minoo, LAVRENČIČ ŠTANGAR, Urška, SEVER ŠKAPIN, Andrijana, RISTIĆ, Alenka, KAUČIČ, Venčeslav, NOVAK TUŠAR, Nataša. Titania-containing mesoporous silica powders: structural properties and photocatalytic activity towards isopropanol degradation. J. photochem. photobiol.,A Chem.. [Print ed.], 2010, vol. 216, no. 2/3, p. 167-178, doi: 10.1016/j.jphotochem.2010.07.011. [COBISS.SI-ID 1545211]
5. 9. TASBIHI, Minoo, NGAH, Che Rohaida, AZIZ, Norashid, MANSOR, Anis, ZUHAIRI ABDULLAH, Ahmad, KEAT TEONG, Lee, RAHMAN MOHAMED, Abdul. Lifetime and regeneration studies of various supported TiO2 photocatalysts for the degradation of phenol under UV-C light in a batch reactor. Ind. eng. chem. res.. [Print ed.], 2007, vol. 46, no. 26, p. 9006-9014. [COBISS.SI-ID 1046523]
University course code: 2OK009
Year of study: 1
- Lectures: 45 hours
- Exercises: 15 hours
- Individual work: 180 hours
Course type: specialised elective
Learning and teaching methods:
• lectures • tutorial • preparation of a seminar paper • students' individual work