Assoc. Prof. Dr. Ana Toroš
Ana’s main research areas are comparative studies of minority literatures, literary imagology, the didactics of cross-border literature, trauma studies and literature. The main focus of her work is multicultural and multilingual literature in the border areas between Slovenia, Italy and Croatia (Trieste, Slavia Veneta, Resia and Istria).
Research areas and keywords
Slovenian literature, minority literature, Triestine literature, literary imagology, collective trauma, memory and postmemory, didactics of cross-border literature, the writings of Alojz Gradnik
- TOROŠ, Ana. Journey through the unknown paths of Trieste and Gradnik’s poetry: selected writings (Potovanje po neznanih poteh tržaškosti in Gradnikove poezije: izbrani spisi), Trst: Mladika: Slovenski raziskovalni inštitut, 2019.
- TOROŠ, Ana. O sweet earth: stone, grain, sap: Alojz Gradnik and the Romance and Germanic worlds (O zemlja sladka: kamen, zrno, sok: Alojz Gradnik ter romanski in germanski svet), Ljubljana: Slovenska matica, 2013.
- TOROŠ, Ana. The image of Trieste and Trieste surroundings in Slovenian and Italian poetry of the first half of the 20th century (Podoba Trsta in Tržaškega v slovenski in italijanski poeziji prve polovice 20. stoletja), Nova Gorica: Univerza, 2011.
- TOROŠ, Ana. Teaching minority literature: the case of Trieste. Razprave in gradivo: revija za narodnostna vprašanja, dec. 2019, no. 83, pp. 83-93.
- TOROŠ, Ana. The role of migrations and cultural hybridity in literary systems: studying the case of Alojz Gradnik in Argentina. Annales: anali za istrske in mediteranske študije. Series historia et sociologia. 2018, vol. 28, no 1, pp. 65-76.
- TOROŠ, Ana. Slovene-Friulian-Italian literary connections at the beginning of the 20th century: the case of Alojz Gradnik and select Friulian and Italian authors. Interlitteraria. 2017, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 386-396.
- TOROŠ, Ana. Minority writing: the case of Friuli-Venezia Giulia (Italy), Goriška and Coastal-Karst regions (Slovenia). Slavia Centralis. [Tiskana izd.]. 2017, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 50-65.
- TOROŠ, Ana. “Iz cveta si me izpreménil v plod”: Alojz Gradnik in the footsteps of Tagore Rabindranath. Slovene studies: journal of the Society for Slovene Studies. 2016, vol. 38, no. 1/2, pp. 3-20.
- TOROŠ, Ana. Alojz Gradnik, a poet and translator at the linguistic, cultural and ideological crossroads. Interlitteraria. 2014, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 388-399.
- TOROŠ, Ana. Le figure femminili nella poesia slovena e italiana su Trieste della prima metà del XX secolo. Quaderni d’italianistica. 2014, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 135-148.
- TOROŠ, Ana. Triestinità and tržaškost: common points and differences. Slovene studies: journal of the Society for Slovene Studies. 2014, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 39-54.
- TOROŠ, Ana. Literary manifestations of traumatic collective memory and postmemory: the case of Istrian Triestine and Slovenian Triestine literature. V: MIKOLIČ, Vesna (ur.). Language and culture in the intercultural world. Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2020. pp. 387-401.
- TOROŠ, Ana. The “other” in contemporary Slovene literature from the Trieste region: a case study of national stereotypes in minority literatures. V: ROSENTHAL, Caroline (ur.). Disrespected neighbo(u)rs: cultural stereotypes in literature and film. Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars, 2018. pp. 223-233.
- TOROŠ, Ana. La poésie slovène et italienne sur Trieste et la Première Guerre mondiale. V: MAGNI, Stefano (ur.), BANI, Luca. Gli italiani e la Grande Guerra: dalla guerra delle idee alla guerra degli uomini. 1a ed. Roma: Aracne, 2018. pp. 319-337.
- Historical Interpretations of the 20th Century (Historične interpretacije 20. stoletja) (P6-0347)
- EDUKA2, Leading institution SLORI. Project funded by the European Regional Development Fund under the Interregional Cooperation Programme of V-A Italy-Slovenia, 2014-2020.
- Multicultural Heritage and the Nation state: The Cases of Prekmurje, Bela Krajina and Primorska (J6-4301, Project leader Tanja Petrović).
- The Land Beneath (L6-0080, Project leader Igor Grdina).
- Slovenian is beautiful (Slovenščina je lepa). Project funded by »Friuli Venezia Giulia (Dežela Furlanija Julijska Krajina)«, 26/2007, article 21, paragraph 2, letter A)«.
Dr. Ana Toroš is from Barbana in Goriška Brda. She attended elementary school in Brda and high school in Nova Gorica. In 1997 she enrolled in the Department of Comparative Literature and Literary Theory at the Faculty of Arts in Ljubljana, where she graduated in 2003. In the same year, she enrolled for postgraduate studies at the Faculty of Arts of the University of Ljubljana. In 2006, she earned her Master of Science in Comparative Literature and Literary Theory, and in 2009, she was promoted to Doctor of Science in Literary Studies. In the academic year 2009/2010 she continued her studies at the University of Trieste as a recipient of an international research grant awarded by the Consorzio per lo Sviluppo Internazionale dell’Università di Trieste.
Since 2005, she has been working at the University Nova Gorica. She is a member of the scientific council of the SLORI-Slovenian Research Institute in Trieste. She is on the expert register of the Slovenian Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education.
She has presented her research results in the form of lectures abroad, at the University of Trieste, the University of Padua, the University of Klagenfurt, the University of Lisbon, the University of Prague, the University of Pardubice, the University of Brno, the University of Munich, the University Buenos Aires and in Paris (Institut National des Langues et Oriental Civilizations).
Director of the Doctoral Program in Humanities, Graduate School UNG.
President of the Scientific Council of the Doctoral Program in Humanities, Graduate School UNG.
Awards for scientific monographs
- Award of the Municipality of Brda, 2014:
Ana Toroš, 2013, O sweet earth: stone, grain, sap: Alojz Gradnik and the Romance and Germanic worlds (O zemlja sladka: kamen, zrno, sok: Alojz Gradnik ter romanski in germanski svet), Ljubljana: Slovenska matica.
- Award of the Office of the Government of the Republic of Slovenia for Slovenes Abroad, 2011:
Ana Toroš, 2011, The image of Trieste and Trieste surroundings in Slovenian and Italian poetry of the first half of the 20th century (Podoba Trsta in Tržaškega v slovenski in italijanski poeziji prve polovice 20. stoletja), Nova Gorica: University.
International Competition, Devin Castle, 2009.