Noun phrase syntax
This course is part of the programme:
Cognitive science of language Third Level
Objectives and competences
The primary goal of this course is to familiarize the students with the current issues in the syntax of noun phrase.
- Ability of critical thinking about selected topics in noun phrase syntax and search for relevant data
- Ability to identify interesting and theoretically significant problems in noun phrase syntax
Introduction to syntax
Content (Syllabus outline)
Results of the current linguistic investigations by the worldwide known linguists.
Intended learning outcomes
Knowledge of current topics in noun phrase syntax
- Steven Abney. 1987. The English Noun Phrase and its sentential aspect. MIT disertacija.
- Guglielmo Cinque. 2006. On Dual Source of adjectives in Romance DP. Rokopis U. v Benetkah.
- Druga literatura vezana na konkretno vsebino predmeta/other literature based on the actual content of the course (članki iz jezikoslovnih znanstvenih revij / articles from scientific journals – Linguistic Inquiry, Natural Language and Linguistic Theory, Lingua, Language, Theoretical Linguistics, The Linguistic Review …).
Homework assignments and final term paper (50% / 50%).
Full professor of Linguistics at the University of Venice.
University course code: 3JEZ021
Year of study: 1
- prof. Guglielmo Cingue
- Lectures: 45 hours
- Other: 135 hours
Course type: elective
Learning and teaching methods:
• lectures • individual work under supervision of the lecturer responsible for the course during the intensive course students present their own research on the topic of the seminar. before the start of the intensive course, students must read and work through the required literature on their own. this literature includes scientific articles that will be discussed during the course.