Research work IV
This course is part of the programme:
Cognitive science of language Third Level
Objectives and competences
The student in the fourth academic year should be able to:
- individual analytical thinking
- solving professional problems with individual search of solutions,
- critical evaluation of results
- participate in interdisciplinary team work
- communicate and present scientific results to national and international scientific community in English
Knowledge obtained in the course of the obligatory subjects in this program.
Content (Syllabus outline)
The student continues with intensive research work on the topics of his/her doctoral thesis which were defined in agreement with the supervisor. The program is individual and includes:
- Data analysis and their interpretation
- Presentation and discussion of project results
- Literature study
- Skills in problem solving
- Work to fulfil the PhD thesis proposal
- Team work and collaboration
- Skills in scientific writing in English
Intended learning outcomes
In the fourth year, students are expected to show a solid progression of the research project, with important component in data analysis and interpretation.
Students should have acquired sufficient expertise in content knowledge, skill in laboratory and research methods.
Students have at least one submitted or accepted/published paper about the results of their research work in international journal before the dissertation defence.
The paper must be in English or in one of the widely spoken foreign languages* and and the journal must be indexed in one of the following database (ERIH, A&HCI, SSCI, SCOPUS, IBSS, IBZ, BL, MLA, CSA, HA
ABC, FRANCIS, LLBA ERA, WPSA, AP, RTA). *The following languages are considered as widely spoken foreign languages: English, Spanish, French, German, Russian, Chinese and Japanese
Readings are closely connected with the student’s research topic and the list is approved by the supervisor.
Written report on research progress and presentation of student’s research work (e.g. at a scientific conference). 50/50
Supervisor of a doctoral student must be a university teacher, holding a title Assistant Professor, Associate Professor or Full Professor, or researcher with a doctoral degree, with research experiences in the field of the dissertation topic.
University course code: 3JEZ036
Year of study: 4
- Individual work: 900 hours
Course type: obligatory
Learning and teaching methods:
• lectures of invited speakers • presentation and interpretation of results of research work to other colleagues from postgraduate course • writing contributions in cooperation with supervisor for meetings and workshops • writing scientific papers in english