Environmental Sciences (Third Level)
|Study programme:||Environmental Sciences (Third Level)|
|Main fields of study:||Environmental Sciences|
|Level of study:||3. stopnja doktorski|
|Name of the qualification:||Doctoral diploma|
|Qualification title:||" Doktor znanosti" (equivalent to Doctor of Science)|
|Dean:||prof. dr. Iztok Arčon|
|Programme director:||prof. dr. Anton Brancelj|
|ECTS coordinator:||prof. dr. Iztok Arčon|
ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES 3rd level is doctoral study programme.
The courses are held in English language.
The Senate of the University of Nova Gorica at its 75th session held on 18 January 2017 approved the extension of the III. level study program Environmental Sciences from the current three years (180 ECTS) to four years (240 ECTS).
The four-year doctoral programme will start in the academic year 2017/2018.
Students who are currently enrolled in the three-year study programme will complete studies at the three-year programme.
Information for students
To qualify for entry into the graduate program Environmental Sciences, applicants must satisfy the following admission requirements:
- have completed a 2nd cycle master’s study preogramme;
- have completed at least a four-year academic undergraduate programme accredited with 240 ECTS credits;
- have completed a uniform five year master’s study programme accredited with 300 ECTS credits;
- have completed a specialization after previously finished professional study programme, and had passed additional study obligations within 30 to 60 ECTS credit points;
- have completed an equivalent program abroad;
If the number of applicants exceeds the 20 available slots, they are selected based on previous academic achievement.
Before enrolling in the second year, the student must have completed the following study requirements:
- Obligatory Seminar (30ECTS)
- Research work I (30 ECTS),
The condition for enrolling in the second year is to have accumulated 60 ECTS credit points.
Before enrolling in the third year, the student must have completed the following study requirements:
- Research work II (60ECTS)
- General elective courses (60ECTS)
The condition for enrolling in the third year is completion of 120 ECTS credit points.
- In the third year, the student focuses exclusively on research work (30 ECTS credit points), which results in a successful defence of the doctoral dissertation (30 ECTS credit points). (This is for 3 year programme).
- In the third year, the student focuses exclusively on research work III (30 ECTS credit points). (This is for 4 year programme).
The condition for enrolling in the fourth year is completion of requirements of all three years (180 ECTS credit points).
- In the fourth year, the student focuses exclusively on research work IV (30 ECTS credit points), which results in a successful defence of the doctoral dissertation (30 ECTS credit points).
Educational and professional goals
Protection of the environment demands an explicitly multidisciplinary approach and therefore adequately educated and trained experts are needed in the areas of environmental research, technology, conservation, management and policy development. One of the crucial problems in solving the environment issues is the lack of experts with appropriate multidisciplinary knowledge, who could successfully link together the experts with distinctive knowledge in natural and technical sciences on one side and the managers, lawyers and similar professionals on the other side. Therefore similar study programmes on undergraduate and also on graduate level are common worldwide. For this reason the main objective of this study programme is education of top experts with the multidisciplinary knowledge in the fields of environmental sciences.
The study programme consists of the compulsory seminar, which introduces the student into the area of his specialization, elective courses on atmospheric, aquatic or soil science, and elaboration of doctoral thesis. The thesis is tightly linked to intensive and high quality research during which various environmental phenomena and concrete problems can be investigated. The main focus is on topics such as the development and improvement of technologies for reduction of environmental pollution, the development and application of new technologies and methods for detection and monitoring of pollutants in the environment, ecotoxicology, renewable energy and other resources, and sustainable development.
Access to further studies
Examination and assessment regulations
|Research work I||900||30|
|Trends in Environment Sciences||900||30|
|Research work II||900||30|
|Selected Topics in Nature Protection and Biodiversity Conservation||300||10|
|Selected topics in Water pollution||300||10|
|Selected topics in Water pollution 1||300||10|
|Selected topics in Water pollution 2||300||10|
|Selected topics in Water pollution 3||300||10|
|Selected topics in air pollution||300||10|
|Selected topics in soil pollution||300||10|
|Research work 3||1800||60|
|Research work IV||900||30|
Curriculum for this study year is not yet available.