Language Centre

The Language Centre of the University of Nova Gorica (UNG LC) operates in a unique cross-border location at the junction of languages and cultures. Each university, especially if it is internationally oriented, such as UNG, ensures adequate support to help further develop the linguistic competences of its students, staff and external course participants.

The UNG LC language courses are tailored to the background, wishes, needs and study interests of the students and, while developing linguistic competences in the target language, they are also introduced to the target culture.

Languages at UNG

In the 2023/2024 academic year, the School of Humanities is organising the following language courses:

Course of the Slovene Language I (A1, A1/A2)*

Course of the Slovene Language II (A2, A2/B1)

Course of the Slovene Language III (B1, B1/B2)

Course of the Slovene Language IV (B2)

Course of the Italian Language I (A1, A1/A2) – summer semester

Course of the Italian Language II (A2, A2/B1) – summer semester

Course of the German Language 1 (A1, A1+)

Course of the German Language 2 (A1+/A2)

Course of the German Language 3 (A2+, A2/B1) – summer semester

Course of the German Language 4 (B1/B1+) – summer semester

Course of the English Language 1 (B2)

Course of the English Language 2 (B2/C1)

* Leto PLUS / Year PLUS programme: a preparatory year for international students who are enrolled for the first time in a bachelor's or master's degree programme at the University of Nova Gorica and have a lack of knowledge of the Slovene language


The applications for the winter semester language courses are now open!

Registration form

The 2023/24 academic year starts the week of 9–13 October and the registration is open until Sunday, 17th September 2023. Please choose your preferred language and the type and the course level, then fill in the online application form.

In case of cancellation, the participant must submit a written cancellation to our address ( at least 7 days prior to the beginning of the course. Upon receiving the written cancellation we will refund 80 % of the tuition fee paid within 30 days, and retain the remaining 20 % for administrative costs and bank transaction costs. Cancellations received later than 7 days before the beginning of the course are not taken into consideration.

Scope of courses and certificates obtained

Each course comprises 60 contact hours.*

Upon successfully passing a course (passing tests, final examinations, maintaining regular attendance, submitting written assignments etc.) the participants obtain a course completion certificate.

* One contact (teaching) hour equals 45 minutes.

Duration of courses

The lessons usually take place once or twice a week.

Winter semester: October 2, 2023 – January 19, 2024.

Summer semester: February 29 – May 30, 2024.

Conducting lectures

- Live in-situ lectures: the course is delivered in the lecture room.

- Combined delivery: 1/3 of the scheduled teaching hours are delivered in the lecture room and 2/3 are delivered remotely via videoconferencing.

- Online: the lectures are delivered entirely remotely via videoconferencing.

Reference levels of language competence achieved

The levels of language competence achieved (stated in brackets) are in accordance with the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR; pages 25–29), which enables the language competence levels achieved to be recognised worldwide. The six-level frame used throughout is based on the normal practice of a number of public examining bodies – schools, universities, other institutions, companies and employers, both in Slovenia and abroad.

Courses and the ECTS system

60-hour courses are assigned 4 ECTS units, except the Basic Slovene Language Course (6 ECTS). The ECTS units obtained can be recognised at various study programmes, provided that the possibility exists.


  • 60-hour course: UNG students and UNG employees - one language course: €0; each additional language course: €220;
  • others: €369 (A1, A2), €390 (B1, B2).

The price includes: a tuition fee, use of library resources, admission to the final exam (up to 3 times), course completion certificate.

Other advantages of our language courses:

  • up-to-date and diverse topics,
  • in addition to developing only pure language skills, the participants also gain an insight into the target cultures,
  • modern teaching methods,
  • experienced university lecturers.

Courses will only be carried out in case of a sufficient number of students registered in a particular course.

More information

Information on application:

School of Humanities - School Office
Phone: 05 33 15 237


Language Centre of the University of Nova Gorica